As you may have heard, Soil Friends now has a dairy cow! Meet Pam.. she is such a sweetheart!
What is Raw Milk?
Raw milk is as fresh as it gets, straight from the cow’s udder to the bottle, to the fridge! It is also known as ‘unpasteurized’, which means it does not undergo ‘pasteurization’, a brief process of heating to 161 degrees to kill any germs that may exist in the milk, including beneficial probiotics. There are additional negative consequences of the pasteurization process.. from realmilk.com:
“Besides destroying part of the vitamin C contained in raw milk and encouraging growth of harmful bacteria, pasteurization turns the sugar of milk, known as lactose, into beta-lactose — which is far more soluble and therefore more rapidly absorbed in the system, with the result that the child soon becomes hungry again.
Probably pasteurization’s worst offence is that it makes insoluble the major part of the calcium contained in raw milk. This frequently leads to rickets, bad teeth, and nervous troubles, for sufficient calcium content is vital to children; and with the loss of phosphorus also associated with calcium, bone and brain formation suffer serious setbacks.
Pasteurization also destroys 20 percent of the iodine present in raw milk, causes constipation and generally takes from the milk its most vital qualities.”
But.. isn’t Raw Milk Dangerous?
Pasteurization does play an important role in eliminating dangerous germs from milk, if you need absolute peace of mind, raw milk may not be for you. However, the risk of contamination can be greatly reduced by ensuring a sterile milking process. Your safety is our absolute first concern, but providing nutrition is a close second! By avoiding contamination we can greatly minimize risks and provide you with a truly whole, nutrient-dense farm-fresh food source.
What’s in Raw Milk?
From Dr. Josh Axe:
- Fat Soluble Vitamins A, D, and K2 – Because raw milk comes from cows or goats grazing on grass, research studies have shown that it contains a higher level of heart healthy, cancer killing, fat-soluble vitamins than milk which comes from factory-farm raised cows. (03) Studies have shown that one of the most common deficiencies in children is a lack of fat soluble vitamins. These vitamins support the brain and nervous system and are crucial for development, focus and brain function. Fat soluble vitamins also support bone density and help naturally balance hormones, however they are significantly decreased following pasteurization. (04)
- Short Chain Fatty Acids, CLA and Omega-3’s – In addition to being high in anti-inflammatory Omega-3 fatty acids, raw milk from grass-fed animals is a rich source of butyrate, a short chain fatty acid that is widely known to control health issues related to inflammation, slow metabolism and stress resistance. (05) In fact, researchers in Japan conducted a study on mice that suggests that butyrate can be used to treat inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn’s disease. (06) Additionally raw grass-fed milk is packed with CLA (conjugated linoleic acid), which according to Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Cancer has been tied to cancer prevention, healthier cholesterol levels and can even help reduce body fat. (07)
- Essential Minerals & Electrolytes: Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium – Raw milk is one of the highest sources of minerals and electrolytes, which many people don’t get enough of. Unfortunately a significant percentage of these minerals are lost during high-heat pasteurization. (08)
- Whey Protein and Immunoglobulins – By far, the best tasting curds and whey protein come from raw milk. Whey protein is fantastic for anyone who is looking to burn fat and build or retain lean muscle. Whey is high in the following enzymes and proteins (amino acids), and the best way to get these immunity boosters is in their natural form: Alpha-lactalbumin, Beta-lactoglobulin, Bovine serum albumin and Immunoglobulin.
- Probiotics: Kefir, Cheese, Yogurt – Probiotics are only found in small amounts in raw milk, but when you ferment raw milk to make foods like kefir, yogurt or cheese the good bacteria dramatically increase. In fact, there are no other foods in the world as naturally high in probiotics as cultured dairy products.
Health Benefits of Raw Milk
With all of these fortifying nutrients, it’s not surprising that the list of health benefits of Raw Milk is so extensive:
- Healthier skin, hair and nails
- Nutrient absorption
- Stronger immune system
- Reduced allergies
- Increased bone density
- Neurological support
- Weight loss
- Help building lean muscle mass
- Better digestion
Kefir: Pro Probiotics
Looking to squeeze all of the Probiotic advantages from your raw milk? We recommend trying Kefir! Kefir is a milk drink made with a specific grain and fermented, which in the process, makes the dairy easier to digest. For more information, see this page: https://www.healthambition.com/kefir-good-natural-source-probiotics/
Farm-fresh Raw Milk Shares
We are now excited to offer raw milk shares and further improve our farm-fresh offering to the community. Contact us for details!